Sick of big city life? Fancy a stroll on the beach before work or school? As the name suggests, the Gold Coast in Australia is paradise. In fact, the main suburb is rightfully named Surfers Paradise. It offers a true work-life balance and excellent opportunities for education. So why choose to study on the Gold Coast?
REGIONAL AREA FOR MIGRATION
It has recently been announced that the Gold Coast will be classified as a “regional area” in Australia for study and skilled migration pathways. This is an exciting update and opens many doors for international students and skilled migrants.
The benefits of this classification include:
- Skilled Work Regional Visa (Subclass 491) – applicants planning to live in the Gold Coast can now apply for this visa which offers a pathway to permanent residency.
- 5 points towards skilled migration when the study is completed. You must have at least 1 degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that satisfies the Australian study requirement.
- Applicants who live and work in a regional area and are sponsored by an employer can apply for the Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 494)
- Access to an additional year on the Graduate Work Visa (Post Study Work Stream – subclass 485) for those who graduate with a Bachelor degree and above at a registered institution
- Dedicated 25,000 visas available and more opportunity for priority processing
The Gold Coast is home to a multitude of higher education choices dependent on your individual needs and aspirations, with over 200 education and training providers throughout the region. It’s no wonder over 25,000 international students choose to study on the Gold Coast every year!
The city is quickly becoming known as a hub for innovation and leading education. This combination has made it possible for local institutes to introduce progressive courses. This includes Blockchain Collective, a Gold Coast native who was the first in Australia to announce an accredited advanced diploma in blockchain technology,
The region boasts five campuses for Tafe QLD, where qualification options include short courses, certificates and diplomas across a wide range of study areas. There are also several world-class universities: Bond University, Griffith University and Southern Cross University. There really is an option for everyone!
LIFESTYLE AND ENTERTAINMENT
Australia is well known for its easy-going lifestyle and the Gold Coast is a prime example of this. Where else in the world can you transition from skyscrapers to tropical beaches in a matter of minutes? Hundreds of thousands flock to the coastal city each year to enjoy a relaxing holiday and see the sights.
Did you know?
- The average yearly temperature is 29 degrees Celsius
- The average yearly days of sunshine is 300
- There is over 50km of beaches available to explore and surf
It has attractions to suit the interests of everyone, including:
- Nightlife – the Gold Coast is popular for providing a buzzing nightlife. Clubs, bars and pubs are filled year-round
- Amusement parks – just a short drive away is some of the most famous theme parks in Australia including Warner Brother Movie World, Sea World and Dreamworld
- Festivals – film festivals, art festivals, music festivals – you name it and the Gold Coast is bound to offer it at least once during the calendar year
- Shopping – the city contains some premium shopping options, from the large Australia Fair Shopping Centre to clearance outlets such as Harbour Town
- Shows – If you prefer to be entertained at the dinner table look no further! Indulge in the Australian Outback Spectacular or head to the iconic Dracula’s for some cabaret
The list goes on! Just like any metropolis city, there is always an abundance of choices when it comes to entertainment. Due to its large international presence, many places provide discounts and benefits to students.
The Gold Coast is located in South-East Queensland, just a stone’s throw from the New South Wales border. If you’re new to the country or even a citizen looking to explore all that Australia has to offer, the Gold Coast is perfectly situated.
In the immediate vicinity, you will find beautiful hinterlands and national parks including Lamington National Park, Tamborine Mountain and the Gondwana Rainforests which are perfect for hiking and swimming. There is also the idyllic Stradbroke Island and Moreton Island, just a ferry ride away and largely untouched by mainstream tourism!
Source: Destination Gold Coast
However, if you’re wanting to venture a bit further, many other destinations are reachable by car.
- One-hour north is Brisbane, the capital city of QLD
- Two hours north is the pristine Sunshine Coast, including hotspot Noosa Heads
- Cairns and the famous Great Barrier Reef can be reached in a couple of days
- Venture down one hour south to Byron Bay, a beachside city well known for its laid-back lifestyle
- Only 8 hours south is Sydney, home to the renowned Opera house and Harbour Bridge
A major benefit of moving outside a capital city is the affordability. The appeal of the Gold Coast is that it offers the best of both worlds: a thriving city that is also relatively cheap to live in. In fact, it was ranked #1 for student affordability in Australia.
Source: Study Gold Coast
Living in paradise is very achievable. Visit Blockchain Collective to learn more about becoming an international student. The Advanced Diploma of Applied Blockchain is available at several Registered Training Organisations. Undertaking this course can provide a pathway to living in the beautiful Gold Coast whilst also furthering your professional capabilities and education.